I have to be honest. I found it hard when I embarked on the journey of self-publishing. So many confusions so I wanted to give up on the task. But I treaded on with the goal. Now, I want to help people who have started and have the same confusions.
First things first. You have to decide what medium your readers would like your work in. I chose Amazon KDP for Kindle version and Notionpress(Xpress publishing mode) for paperback version. The urge to release a paperback version came many months after the release of Kindle. Amazon KDP paperback versions are not available in India. That’s the reason I opted for Notionpress Xpress Publishing mode.
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing:
- Create an Amazon KDP account here.
- Go through the “Getting Started” link for KDP. I used Learn on your own. Use our self-guided resources for moving further.
- Be ready with your manuscript and cover(if custom). Else KDP has resources to create your cover as well. I sorted the size of the manuscript in MS Word and checked the pages on Kindle Create(Kindle is in .epub format.) on how it will be viewed on Kindle devices. There are custom sizes on how the length and width of the paper should be.
- Do ensure you have the latest browser.
- In your KDP Bookshelf. In the “Create a New Title” section, click + Kindle eBook.
- Enter information for each section.
- Publish your Kindle ebook after entering all information.
After publishing, you can promote the ebook with different offers and promotions.
Help for different topics on KDP can be found here in this link.
NotionPress (Xpress Publishing mode) :
I rummaged the Internet to find a suitable resource for publishing my paperback versions of my books. After many days, to my relief , I found NotionPress.
Since I had experience with Amazon KDP, the process with NotionPress Xpress Publshing mode was way too easy. The claim is that you can publish in 4 steps. That is, if you know the cover creation and manuscript formatting processes.
- Create a new book project and key in your book specifications and manuscript. You can either upload or type the manuscript.
- Design the cover and interiors. It is a guided interface. So, you will get the hang of it.
- Select distribution. I chose NotionPress, Flipkart and Amazon. There are different options, once you research on them, it is clearer.
- Set a price and publish. Royalty Calculator calculates the profit. Set the ideal price and publish.
These are some of the steps I followed. If you want any more help, you can contact me on Twitter or mail me. You can also contact me through contact form on this site.